Monday, March 19, 2007

Interview with Relient K

Reliant K is considered to be among the Alternative, Christian rock and punk rock genres. The band has received numerous awards including a Grammy nomination in 2003 for Best Gospel Modern Rock Album and two Dove Awards. Reliant K broke into mainstream music in 2004 when they signed with Capitol and they released their fourth record, Mmhmm, which has produced three top five hits on Christian radio and two top 20 hits on mainstream radio. Their fifth full length record, Five Score and Seven Years Ago, was debuted number six on the U.S. Billboard 200. It sold approximately 64,000 copies in just its first week. Five Score and Seven Years Ago" debuted at number 2 on the iTunes best selling albums chart.

I have listened to the album at myspace and I like "Pleading the Fifth" and "Must Have Done Something Right" the most. I am a huge "Beach Boys" fan as is Reliant K and I can hear the "Beach Boys" tone in these songs. Check out Reliant K you may just be surprised and enjoy what you hear. In Reliant K are Matthew Thiessen, Matthew Hoopes, John Warne, Jonathan Schneck and David Douglas. I spoke with Matthew Thiessen via phone.

Where did you come up with the name "Five Score and Seven Years Ago?"

MT - Well it's our fifth album and it's the first time we are five guys. The last album we were only four. So there was all this stuff concerning five coming up and I wanted to do something with the number five. I didn't want to just call it five. So I was just kind of thinking about stuff and "Five Score and Seven Years Ago" came up and I just went with it.

How is the album doing?

MT - It's doing alright.

Did you write the songs on the album?

MT - Yes

What inspires you in the songs that you write?

MT - I just kind of keep my schedule clear and sit around and think a lot. Especially with this record, I was under a little bit under pressure because of time constraints. It is almost becomes like homework you just sit and you just write. It's fun though.

Read the Rest Here



No comments: