Thursday, October 18, 2007

Interview with Ben Romans from The Click Five

The Click Five is a power pop band from Boston, Massachusetts, they enjoyed success on the U.S.Billboard Hot 100 Singles Chart with the song "Just The Girl" (written by Fountains of Wayne's Adam Schlesinger) in 2005.

June 28th I spoke with Ben Romans via phone. They were in transit and were in the middle of Texas. I had a great time talking with Ben about the band, the music and much more. It is a very entertaining and enlightening talk I had with Ben. Enjoy!

What are your favorite songs from the album?

Ben - Well that changes by the day. I think right now there are two that I constantly feel very close to. One of them is "Addicted to me" because that's one that's been ongoing for like three years. It's one of those things, I work on it and I put it away and then I work on it again. I remember Ethan and I sitting down it was like around December of 2005, really working up the lyrics, but then we re-wrote the chorus again three or four times to make it what it was. It's always good to see a song evolve like that. It's such a band oriented song to because the way like the production works is like, it's almost like the "Chili Peppers were, if they did individual parts on their own it may not make since but together it comes out great. I also enjoy "Empty" just because I'm a sucker for songs like that. I'm glad we finally got to get something like that on the record.

What inspired you for the lyrics for "The Reason Why"?

Ben - "The Reason Why" is like trying to take a picture of a moment. It's a thesis statement. It's kind of like writing a paper. I picture like an old man watching youth and watching his life and watching the younger generation and be like Wow, I may be tainted with age but one of the beauty's of making mistakes is that falling in love comes with mistakes and that's what it's all about its about learning from those mistakes.

Which song was the most fun to record?

Ben - "Flipside" was a lot of fun because we really got to experiment a lot. One of the great things about playing together for years is that you learn where your part is in the band as a player. You learn how to contribute and how not to contribute. Everybody in this band as some really special things going as far as musicianship, so it's like learning how to squeeze it all in but because we have been playing together so long we have time to really build up the talent on a album fast. Then we have time left to experiment with different things. "Flipside" for me I got use a Optigon, we were just messing around in the studio, the Optigon is from the 1970's and it reads laser discs and it's almost like a sampler of something from the 70's and you will hear it and its like the must funky little thing. We used that in the second verse. I used a Melotron, there are only about 30 of those left. It's the same thing like the "Beatles" used on "Strawberry Fields". It's like all these broken instruments, you almost have to tie them together with like tape and whatever and we made a modern recording.

Go here to read the rest.

No comments: